Doc Won't Treat Patients Over 200 Pounds
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
A Massachusetts primary care physician no longer accepts patients who weigh more than 200 pounds, Boston's WCVB reports .

The doctor stated, "After three consecutive injuries (with other patients) trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it."

What do you think about this policy?

Haylen

ginal2683 responded:
I think that people with large health issues need to resolve them with a specialist before being seen by a primary care physician. TThey have lots of other issues to deal with. They need special care. I do not have a problem with weight but I do have a problem not being able to see my doctor because a person wants to see a doctor for reasons not fitted to that doctor.

worn1 replied to ginal2683's response:
ginal2683
Some health care organizations require you to be referred to a specialist by your primary health care provider.
Jo H

worn1 replied to Anon_320's response:
anon 320
From one over weight person to another. Do not let the superficial people get to you. I know it's hard--it really ticks me off. I believe in karma. What goes around comes around.

You are loved by family and friends. They look beyond your weight.

Lucky for us there are doctors out there that do not go by a persons appearance. I told the endocrinologist that I give up trying to loose weight. He pretended not to hear and started to lay out our next plan of action.

Have you had your thyroid checked.? I ask as my whole family had testing performed after I was diagnosed and all have thyroid problems. They are on treatment and doing fine. I am the only one having problems getting it under control.

Jo H

Anon_12611 replied to Anon_320's response:
To All of You responding to my post,
Firstly, Anon_320, I DO NOT condone beating children or anyone, for that matter. I feel that you got carried away with your anger by getting off the subject being discussed.

I may be slim & eat a very healthy diet but I have not been spared my share of health issues. Unfortunately, genetics play a big part in the picture & I have inherited plenty unpleasant & near debilitating musculoskeletal conditions, along with fibro, that have literally turned my life upside down. At present, these problems are manageable with gentle exercise & a good diet. Prior to my diagnosis, I was very active & loved to work. I am now collecting SSDI.

I have always struggled with my weight. There are many temptations out there & there are even more excuses for giving into them. Life comes with much stress & none of us are spared our share of grief. It's all in the way we manage such stress. Abusing food or a substance only adds to our original problems. Who needs more than what we've been dealt?!

Do not fret, the medical world is a business just like any other & therefore the overweight will always be welcomed in most practices. The business world realize that this condition is good for business as it generates more care, more pharmaceuticals, more surgery, etc.

I can't do anything about the genes I've inherited but I can do something about the way I take care of my health. All of you who are overweight can do the same.

trs1960 replied to Anon_320's response:
Wouldn't it just be easier if doctors just refusedto treat sick people, automechanics refused to work on cars that were broken, plumbers never fixed pipes that leaked..

What happened to a society that was inclusive and looked at each other with open arms, across color, race religion, weight etc.

Should obese people be offered help losing weight, sure. For some it's easier said than done. Should smokers be offered smoking seccation, sure, sometimes it's easier said than done.

I don't mind offering people ways to help, but forcing lifesyle changes on anyone is unamerican and unethical.

We're all in this life together!

I completely agree with the slippery slope!!

Anon_320 replied to Anon_12611's response:
"Firstly, Anon_320, I DO NOT condone beating children or anyone, for that matter. I feel that you got carried away with your anger by getting off the subject being discussed."

I didn't say anything about you condoning the beating of children. What I said was that, if you go just by weight, a woman who weighs 120 pounds is more deserving of health care than I am, even if she's a lousy person and beats her children, just because I'm fat and she isn't. You completely misunderstood my point.

And I would have thought that someone who has been through what you have might have some compassion, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

People have weaknesses. If it were easy to change, we'd all be perfect.

worn1 replied to Anon_12611's response:
anon 12611
You would refuse health care to people who smoke and/or are over weight. I am going to say something I would never consider saying until now. Why should you recieve SSDI? There must be some type of work you can do. I have Parkinsons and I still work. It may take 1 to 2 hours to get my body to move but I still go to work everyday. I may not be able to breathe walking from the car to the building do to heat and humidity but I still go to work. I may be elegible for a handicap placard and early retirement but I still work.

What I said is what others think. I do not think that way. I w ork in health care so I understand why you cannot work. What I was trying to get accross is your idea of no health care is just as wrong as dening(sp) you SSDI

Jo H

An_247542 replied to Anon_320's response:
"Nazi Germany had sort of the same attitude. People who were considered "defective" were killed."

Is modern day USA morally any different? We screen unborn babies for Down Syndrome and 90% of those that have it are aborted.

An_247542 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
"Not everyone can afford health food "

You don't need to buy "health food", all you need is to learn to cook. That's within everybody's capacities.

An_245101 responded:
I have a different take on this - what I can't stand is when a Dr tells the patient (me) to lose at least 20 lbs and I be able to breathe better. The Dr was a heart Dr weighing easily 350 lbs, I was 135, at 50 5'7". Get real - the Dr needed to take her own advice. I never went back. I am doing fine and now weigh 150 and feel great.

Lose a few pounds - what a joke.

cjh1203 replied to An_247542's response:
I'm not going to get into an abortion debate with you but, yes, the US is different. In Nazi Germany, people like Anon_12611 and worn1 would have been killed because they have physical disabilities. I don't know how the Nazis felt about fat people; I might have been killed, too. People of all ages with any physical or mental abnormality were killed so they wouldn't pollute the pure race the Nazis were going for.

worn1 replied to cjh1203's response:
or we would have been used for experiments
Jo H

cjh1203 replied to worn1's response:
That's right. It almost makes me nauseated to even think about it.

brunosbud replied to Anon_320's response:
You want "compassion"? You have so much "compassion" for others? Why not start with yourself? Rather than tell others why you can't, why not tell yourself, "I can!"?

Stop making "doctors" the issue...There is only one issue you need to worry about. There's only one issue you have complete control over. If you can't care enough to extend your body the respect it deserves, stop protesting the lack of compassion you receive from others.

Don't beat your kids? Good, I'm happy for both you and your kids. Still doesn't change one fact...

If you want to see that doctor so bad, you know what you gotta do. So, do it. You can do it...

Believe it or not, I'll be rooting for ya, too.

Anon_320 replied to brunosbud's response:
I didn't say "I can't", did I? Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not blaming anyone else for my weight.

I'm making doctors the issue because that is the subject of this thread, and people like Anon_12611 don't think I should have access to them. People like him/her think that because I'm overweight, I don't deserve medical care. I do, and so does everyone else.

As I said, we all have weaknesses. Mine happens to be one that is readily apparent to other people. For that, some people think that if I get sick, it's OK to just let me die.

I can't read any more of these posts.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD