How Do You Feel With The Election Over?
Looking around social media today, I see elation and disappointment, but I also see a lot of peoople saying they are ready to get back to regular life.

This seemed to be a particularly polarizing election. Did your choice of candidate cause any stress or strife in your relationships with others? Do you think all will be back to normal now?

How are YOU feeling now that the election is over?

Olivia

Still have questions about how the results of the 2012 election will affect your health care? ASK HERE . Your questions will help us craft future articles here at WebMD.

2Tired4Words responded:
Let down. Worried about the future for the next generation especially. At least it's over. I just hope everything turns out okay.

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on responded:
Olivia,

I am relieved it is over, I am glad that I dont have to listen to those mudslinging ads during a football game atleast for the next 3 years.

No, I dont think it will go back to normal. As you said you looked at social media and saw many different reactions. Honestly what I feel is that this election more than any other in the past could potentially drive people apart, due to social media and other online outlets. People need to remember, that this is The United States of America, the key word is UNITED. Every election almost half the country is upset that their candidate didnt win. Given the garbage that people can listen/read, we have forgotten how to do the work and research every candidate. Many of us use someone else's opinion to formulate our own. No matter who wins an election Democrat/Republican/Independent, we still need to stand UNITED as a country and support our leaders.

dfromspencer responded:
I'm so glad its over! No more listening to political ads on tv, no more lies to hear. President Obama won this election, just like Bush did his second term. So, all the losers need to accept it, and move on. Now is the time to come together as a nation, and fix this economy. Maybe not for our sakes, but rather, for that of our childrens. Our grandchildren.

Now is the time for our leaders in both houses, to come together, no more petty arguements. No more fillibustering everything. COMPROMISE is the solution!

I have to say, I am so glad the President won. Had we switched now, it would have been caos. I don't think America could afford the Republican agenda right now? This country's job creators, need to get back to the practise of sharing a little more of the proffits, like they did before the greed set in. That in itself, would stimulate this economy like nothing else.

Thank you, Olivia, great question!

Dennis

LOTAG responded:
I feel terrible. I had my first ever panic attack on my way in to work this morning because of it. I honestly thought Romney was going to win, and had met both him and Paul Ryan last week and was really excited for them. I saw the results roll in at my congresswoman's headquarters last night, and she lost as well, so I was terribly upset. I have two brothers deployed overseas and truly feel that Obama does not care about them and the rest of our military based on the tales I've heard from other military families about how he acts towards the families of fallen soldiers. I have a small child and am terribly worried for her future in view of the way the economy is going and my inside knowledge of what's going on abroad.

worn1 responded:
I am disappointed. We will have 4 more years of the same. with the addition of a massive tax increase and severe cuts in social programs and the military. we still have the same group in charge. none no how or unwilling to compromise. As far as reaching out to the republicans it wasn't done in his first term infact they were excluded and any legislation given to congress was tabled. For those that have not bothered to read the health bill better you aare in for a rude awakening
Jo H

rohvannyn responded:
Glad that it's over, disappointed that we didn't get a real candidate in office but just another talking head who will do more harm than good. Afraid for the future. I avoid political discussion most of the time, my spouse put a ban on it in the house and I don't blame her a bit. Either way, whichever candidate won we'd be screwed, just in different ways.

MandyCake responded:
I'm happy it's over so I do not have to hear about it everywhere I could actually not give a darn about the political crap anymore... They will do what they do and it is what it is... so whatever... I have other things I would rather focus on...

longduckdong46 replied to MandyCake's response:
Very disappointed with the outcome. This just means more and more people relying on government to take care of them, instead of them working hard to gain self satisfaction through their own devices.
Someone will have to pay the tab, and not all the billionaires and millionaires put together can put a dent in the spending spree, so guess who that leaves ?
As they say " you get the government you deserve "

butterflygarden responded:
So relieved it is OVER!

I have to tell you that just the arguing and bad feelings between my Facebook friends was wearing me down. Even my neighbors were getting grumpy with each other, and that doesn't usually happen around here. I don't think it has ever been this bad in years past.

That is all I am going to say.

Butterfly

imabookworm1943 responded:
There is at least a relief from the incessant caterwauling of political ads bombarding us from all directions. As to the outcome of the election, that is another issue.

As regards the results, I am a mixture of emotions, none of the positive. I'm terribly worried about the security of our country which is in the hands of a man who cares nothing for our military personnel nor cares a whit for the aging population we have. He said in his own book, his own words that he hated his mother because she was white. And that is supposed to make me feel secure??

I have what many people consider a decent income for a one-person household. It was prior to the current White House occupant started in. Now, my expenses are such it is a rarity for me not to end up using my overdraft protection in order to pay for medicine, food, or other necessities. The last six months it has been a regular occurence because each month my expenses rise exponentially.

So, all in all, how do I feel with the election over? In one word....AFRAID.

goalhealth responded:
I had to be very careful not to even attempt to discuss politics with any of my family members as they, almost entirely, take the opposite position from mine. Now I feel very relieved, not only by the outcome of the election but by the fact that I no longer have to be so careful. Well may for a couple of more weeks but then they'll forget about partisanship and politics entirely.

goalhealth replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
Thank you for this, what is today, almost a novel approach. Social media has made it so easy for todays voters to avoid doing any research or even thinking on their own. It shows in the polarization in our nation. We always do better when we work together for solutions and we always do better when the people gather the facts from all reliable sources and use logic to make their decisions.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Relieved. I was so tired of all the ads (tv, radio, junk mail). Some of the people I voted for won, some didn't. Some proposition I voted for won, others didn't. It happens and I don't let it upset me. I'm just amazed at how some people don't realize what their yes vote actually costs (I'm not talking about the presidential election).

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on replied to LOTAG's response:
You were terribly upset that your congresswoman, lost her election, do you honestly think she would care if you lost your job? All we are to them is a vote, they have their agenda's created for them by the major corporations/lobbies that run this country. Another question, id love to hear someone explain to me this massive plan Romney had for creating these millions of jobs in this country. He never mentioned it, the only thing i can think of is that he would re-open all the factories that he closed and start hiring. Also, if you read the health care page on webmd, you'd notice that Romney's health care plan had absolutely NO provisions for women...NONE. No preventative care, NOTHING.

Worn1,
I know the bush tax cut will be coming to an end, so we will see where that leads us. As far as the severe cuts in social programs, isnt that what people got on Obama's case for allowing these social programs to get "out of hand"? As for reaching across the aisle, he did try to put an act in to assist our Military Vets with finding work when they returned home, that was shot down by the Republicans, now what ever pork was rolled into that i am unaware of.

Now i have not read the entire health care act...i have seen bullet points and is it perfect no. But it is a step in the right direction as to getting people coverage. If you look at what Romney did in the state of Massachusetts, you will find a very similar plan to "Obama care" if you do not have health insurance in MA. You pay a fine that is deducted from or added to your income taxes. No one in MA complained one bit...but now Mitt has a different plan of action, so is he saying that his original plan didnt work? Or is he just saying what he thinks the republicans want to hear?

But what upsets me the most as i mentioned above is the way that this country is starting to divide itself...anyone who says we came a long way from the segregation days is completely blind to society. It may not be black vs. white or latino, but its left versus right, haves vs. have nots. Same story different characters. Will we ever truely be The UNITED States of America again? Will "We the People..." mean anything anymore? That is what scares me the most about the future and it doesnt matter who is in office.