Fast Food Regulation: Yes or No?
One of the most popular ongoing debates is whether fast food restaurants should be regulated regarding the types of food items they sell.

Although most of these establishments are now serving a selection of healthier fare, the menus are still full of fried foods laden with calories.

Is it our decision to eat or not to eat, or is the restaurant/company responsible?

Tell us what you think.

odiethedog replied to DonaldDuck42's response:
I'm not exactly understanding your reasoning here, because when you have no other choice but to go into a fast food place, you can make the choice to whether you want a greasy burger, or if you want a lower calorie grilled piece of chicken... There are other alternatives besides salads, and I'm not sure why people don't grasp that...
(Maybe not you, but others I've seen are all about salad. But it's not just about the leafy greens that make you healthy.)

3point14 replied to odiethedog's response:
I've never gotten that whole thing either. Quite frankly I've never seen what's "quicker" about fast food when it's equally quick to go to the grocery store, grab a can of fruit, a stick of cheese and a small pack of nuts for a good travel snack, to say nothing of a rotisserie chicken or good cold cuts sandwich some offer.

JenPBDBP2 replied to apricath's response:
My dear, don't let your (likely unjustified) irritation with the President mar your opinion of the First Lady's efforts to help children be healthy. There are no fat police and no one is telling you what to eat. To suggest otherwise merely shows you are unwilling to either: 1) tell the truth or 2) educate yourself.

brunosbud replied to JenPBDBP2's response:
Zing!

MrsUtterback responded:
Well, I think I would have to agree with the majority of the other people. I don't think the restaurant should be held responsible for OUR descisions. The best thing about having a brain is having choice in our actions. If we don't want to be overweight or obese we have the right to choose what we consume. I like what fast food places have to offer, but I also know it's unhealthy, so I choose not to eat it as often I as I eat at home. Others could do the same but they choose not to, so that's their fault, not the restaurant's.

chatley64 replied to MrsUtterback's response:
Watch, next we will have a law stating that McDonald's, like establishments will be held responsible for people who die from obesity or those who are buying the food for someone else. Can you imagine the cashier at McDonald's telling someone "I'm sorry, but we have to cut you off. It appears you have had too much to eat".

chatley64 replied to chatley64's response:
I meant to say "establishments, like a bar, which serves alcoholic beverages.

chatley64 replied to 3point14's response:
People have to get out of their car and go inside the store to get it vs. sitting in their car and being too lazy to get out of it to go into the store. duh!

1nt3rnalC0mbu5t1on responded:
One of the things we are over looking is that a major part of the country that is being affected by the obesity epidemic is the deep south. I was traveling through Alabama a year or so ago and i noticed as i was driving down the main drag through town that the only restaurants available were fast food. Not one sit down establishment! So even if they wanted to make a smart choice that option is not available. Of course they could cook their own food, but with the way the economy is, either both parents are working or neither of them are. One scenario they dont have the time to make a healthy meal, the other they dont have the money. So those dollar menus look very appealing. After working in the restaurant industry for a few years, you learn that to make healthy food, you have to have better ingredients and fresher ingredients. If they buy those ingredients the price of the food goes up, then the people who are unemployed still go back to the dollar menu and cant get the healthy food. Also to use better ingredients they cost more money and money cuts into profit. So for their to be a healthier option its not cost effective for them to do it, then there are so many chemicals put into those foods that they become almost addictive. I dont think there needs to be a "fat" police. But we do have the FDA, they probably could monitor what many of these fast food places are serving. Ultimately it is up to the consumer to make better choices and to take responsibility of our own actions, some people just dont have the means to make those choices.

blondie454u replied to 1nt3rnalC0mbu5t1on's response:
I totally agree! I don't think it should be regulated but you should have healthier and cheaper options in stores. Fresh fruit and veggies are so expensive. With the way the economy people are barely able to feed their families properly. They want to to stop the obesity epidemic then find a way to make healthy options in grocery stores cheaper.

brunosbud responded:
Cheap healthy foods that store well and can protect your family's health from lifestyle diseases such as Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, Cancer and Depression...

apples, sweet potatoes, brown rice, spinach, cabbage, green onions, garlic, bell peppers, kidney/pinto/black beans, tofu

Regardless of what restaurant(s) are available in town, nothing says where you have to park your car to get to it.

Sorry, but I hate arguments that justify "hopelessness"...

1nt3rnalC0mbu5t1on replied to brunosbud's response:
I agree, those foods are wonderful for a balenced diet. I wasnt trying to justify "hopelessness" I just made an obervation as to the choices that those people have to choose from. As my last line read, it is up to the individual to make those choices. They may not have the nutritional knowledge that some people have and to them, getting a salad at a drive thru that is loaded with cheese, croutons and smoothered in ranch dressing, is a healthy choice. Some states have gone as far as having restaurants put calorie counts on menus/menu boards, which is great, but just because a meal is "low" in calories doesnt make it healthy. But to your point, nothing beats a good healthy home cooked meal.

The_Zombie responded:
I do not think that they should be regulated. If they wish to have health complications due to the problems caused by fast food I say let them.

dale8earnhardtjr responded:
I think it is up to the individual. If you are a person who wants to eat at fast food places all the time, go for it. If you are a person who wants to be healthy, go for it. Myself, however, I a like to be extremely healthy, but every once in a great while I would like to treat myself to fast food.

aaronluo responded:
Here in Sydney, Australia, they're already putting up nutrition stats (Energy/Calorie intake) up on the menu at major fast food outlets (McDonald's, KFC) and some other food outlets are also following suit. It can never be bad thing, it's the consumer's choice on what to eat, if they choose to eat unhealthily, it's their choice. =>