Sex Ed in Public Schools?
Should Sexual Education be taught in public schools?

The CDC recently shared new data showing that sex ed is being taught less rather than more in grades 6 - 12.

Tell us why you think its good or bad to teach this topic to our kids in public school.

NOTE: Remember to debate the topic, not attack the member. Everyone has his or her own unique opinion.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on replied to ProfTim's response:
ProfTim,

I couldnt agree with you more, when i first read this post, the first thing to come to mind was...Where are the parents? That being said, i dont mind schools offering this program. My caviat would be that during parent teacher conferences, the parents should be made aware that in the next quarter, they will be covering said topic and that the parents should start to talk about it with their kids.

The only issue I see is that many of these kids have really young parents, whom themselves probably never had sex ed. So they may not know the first thing about the topic. The fact is that kids are becoming sexually active at a younger age, what seems like every year. I blame the media/social media and secondly a lack of parenting. Look at the way that MTV glorifies a young girl getting pregnant! So they think, if i get knocked up, i might be able to be on television too! As for some of the parents, I am appauled at how they let their kids dress. Go to a mall and people watch, there are twelve year olds who look 16 and 16 year olds who look 20. If I ever had a daughter, she will be in a habit until she is 18 j/k. But they see the way that Miley, Taylor and the like all dress, and think it is appropriate...

Jessica,
That is just mind blowing 8th grade and her second pregnency??? Sadly, I have a feeling that is not as uncommon as it should be. It almost seems now adays that having a baby is a rite of passage into womanhood for these younger girls. Its only a matter of time before I meet a grandmother/father who is in their late 30's.

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More