Feeding Tubes to Lose Weight?
Guess what folks? There is yet another new trend out there to shed pounds quickly...the K-E Diet .

The gist of this plan is that you insert a feeding tube through your nose that goes into your stomach. A slow drip of fat, protein and water is fed constantly into the stomach throughout the day, causing a feeling of fullness. You get approximatley 800 calories per day this way, leading to a weight loss of about 20 lbs in 10 days. Many brides-to-be are said to be using this plan to drop the last few pounds they need to look slim in their wedding dresses.

What do our debaters here think of this weight loss quick fix?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brunosbud responded:
I'm OK with the K-E Diet...

Now, a K-"Y" diet would concern me...

fenton04 replied to brunosbud's response:
Hmm I am leary of the K-9 diet. It makes me pant a lot, scratch and I end up marking my territory. Most embarrasing at the market!!!

brunosbud replied to fenton04's response:
and, the K-12 Diet is too elementary, imo...

Olivia, please, close this thread. Have mercy, please...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I have to say, Brunosbud and Fenton... of all the places I thought this discussion would go, yours wasn't in my imagining! You both certainly made me laugh out loud!

nursingbug responded:
In my weight loss struggle, I have often said I wished I could just go on tube feeding to lose weight, just because I get tired of the struggle of choosing the correct foods, the correct portions; with all of the stress occasionally nothing really sounds appetizing...
But I was completely kidding- really, this isn't any different than going on weight loss shakes to lose weight- it still goes to the same place...

DavidHueben responded:
Hell no. What a ridiculous idea!!!!

ctbeth responded:
I have had to get my nutrition need met this way during a very difficult post-op experience.

The tube insertion is uncomfortable. The sensation of having it in there made me feel nauseated.

You get a vague taste of the liquid pumped into your stomach. It taste terrible.

I would much-rather eat sensibly to lose weight, if I had to lose weight.

Why don't brides-to-be get dresses that fit them as they are, rather than expose themselves to this disgusting method that is so-much more unpleasant than you could imagine?

I'd love to hear from another who has experienced being tube fed.

It is a very-unpleasant experience to have a naso-gastric tube in place (and inserted). Having a surgically-inserted g-tube or j-tube lessens this discomfort, but it would be absurd to have a tube surgically inserted to lose 20 pounds to fit into a dress.

Another issue is that tubes inserted down the throat could be mistakenly inserted down the trachea, rather than the esophagus. Feeding fluid would then be introduced into the lings rather than the stomach.

This is why, in the hospital setting, the ng tube is inserted and there is a radi-opaque line on the tube that makes it visible via xray. The patient is xrayed to confirmed placement prior to feeding.

The tube is left in place until the tube feeding is discontinued, or the patient still cannot eat by mouth, for a variety of medical reasons, and a surgical g or j tube is then inserted, or TPN (total parenteral nutrition) is introduced by a central line surgically inserted via the sub-clavian vein.

The medical term NPO, non per os, is Latin for nothing by mouth. This is nothing to be taken lightly.

Using tube feeding for weight loss to fit into a wedding dress is ridiculous.

neecha1 responded:
truth is, if you have struggled with weight issues your entire life, and its been an obstacle for you, chances are you'll do absolutely ANYTHING out there that promises results,even if that means feeding like a person on life support. Would i do it?....maybe

davedsel57 responded:
I'm on warfarin (blood thinner) for a history of blood clots. I can't have vitamin K.

Seriously, no way would I even think of doing this.

jenlewi responded:
While some of the replies to this were very entertaining, the idea of such a diet is disturbing. A girl I knew back in school had a book about the sex, drugs and rock and roll diet, which was very funny. We laughed quite a bit about that diet and joked about trying it, although we never would have. After reading this disgusting notion of using a feeding tube to lose weight, I've got to say, that one seems less comic and more healthy! Any diet that makes me think a diet involving cocaine and ludes sounds healthy by comparasin isn't something I'd consider. Actually, I'd suggest a psychiatric hold on anyone who seriously DID consider it!

ddnos responded:
I would absolutely NOT use a feeding tube to lose weight quick! I don't believe that it would be a lasting weight loss solution, but, as you say, a "quick fix" that would temporarily replace the one weight loss program that actually works, i.e. healthy eating and exercise, which means, a lifestyle change, not a diet of any kind or this new feeding tube obsurdity!

How sad that our society has been reduced to this; that we are so obsessed with our looks that we would actually go to these extremes to lose weight; that we are so lazy and undisciplined that we'd rather stick a tube up our noses than live healthy!

There are a very small percentage of people out there who's obesiety is due to health reasons and no fault of their own; but for the majority of us, obesity is a consequence of our poor choices - choices about what we eat, how much we eat, and how much or if we choose to excersie.

It's a hard road to travel, but I believe that it's one that will make us all feel, look, and BE healthier!

Just my opinion

Debbie

south70 responded:
I would have to say that if losing the 20lbs would help with my type 2 diabetes, then Yes I am all for it. How much is it, and do they take insurance.. I would not do it for vanity reason as a bride to be, but for health reasons..

brunosbud replied to jenlewi's response:
The only difference between your point of view and mine is yours is printable...

My only legitimate comment to this story is, "Does anyone do 'due diligence', anymore?" &,...

"Where's a lawyer when you need 'em?; get the Pre-Nup...Hurry!"

3point14 responded:
I view this the same way as I view any kind of random cosmetic surgery. I don't doubt that it's unhealthy and not conducive to building a better life, but if people have the money and desire, it's their body, so why not?

I think I would do it.

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More