Feeding Tubes to Lose Weight?
Guess what folks? There is yet another new trend out there to shed pounds quickly...the K-E Diet .

The gist of this plan is that you insert a feeding tube through your nose that goes into your stomach. A slow drip of fat, protein and water is fed constantly into the stomach throughout the day, causing a feeling of fullness. You get approximatley 800 calories per day this way, leading to a weight loss of about 20 lbs in 10 days. Many brides-to-be are said to be using this plan to drop the last few pounds they need to look slim in their wedding dresses.

What do our debaters here think of this weight loss quick fix?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sfonseca7 responded:
NO!

totallywiggedout responded:
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of lazy doctors that come up with these quick fix solutions to lifelong problems.
As an obese person, I'm on my weighloss journey and with some blogging and some reading, I'm losing weight through better nutrition. It infuriates me that doctors would rather spend their time coming up with this rather than doing their jobs and teaching their patients how to shop for and fix sensible meals. Or teaching them proper portions for things and how to curb appetites with healthy alternatives.
This is a disgusting, money oriented SCAM that only works until the tube is out. It doesn't teach those insecure girls anything about nutrition, portion control or self esteem .
Kim

Anon_320 replied to neecha1's response:
The thing is, though, that these are not people who are trying to lose weight for their health. They only want to fit into a wedding dress. I can't even imagine how a doctor could, in good conscience, allow such drastic measures just so a bride can look good for one day.

totallywiggedout replied to Anon_320's response:
It's all money driven, anything to make a buck off of vulnerable people. It's scummy, like ambulance chasers. I don't even think doctors should be allowed to do this on a voluntary basis, only under medical necessity.

apprd responded:
it's official...public education in this country has finally failed.

Anon_4858 replied to apprd's response:
What does public education have to do with women getting feeding tubes to lose weight for a wedding? I believe your statement is too general.

brunosbud responded:
If Charles Shultz was alive, today, this would be the captions for "Peanuts"...

Lucy to Charley Brown:

"You know what, I really don't care what people think..."
"Today, is my day...I'm the star!"
"All my life, I've had to live up to other people's expectations..."
"Well, like it or not, this is 'me' and they're just gonna have to accept 'me' for who I am!"

Lucy has feeding tubes up her nose trying to get into her wedding dress...

Snoopy (thought bubbles): "Oh, brother..."

butterflygarden responded:
I wouldn't do it, and at first glance it just makes me cringe. But, I have to say any quick fix is certainly tempting when you're in menopause and finding it hard to shed the extra pounds.

I've always heard that if you drop down too low in calories suddenly in order to lose weight that your body goes into starvation mode and stores up any fat it gets after that. Ungood.

Just say no to the quick fix, no matter how tempting.

Slow and steady wins the race and comes out healthy.

Butterfly

web_head replied to nursingbug's response:
Ones body requires more than 800 calories a day, in order to keep the body working at its optimal level. Anything less is malnurishing.

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More