Ban on "Supersize" Drinks in NYC?
New York City Mayor Bloomberg wants to limit restaurants, movie theatres and stadiums in the city to selling drinks of only 16 ounces or less .

While right now this would only affect the citizens of NYC, the supersize controversy has become a nationwide discussion due to anti-obesity campaigns.

So, chime in and tell us what you think.

Is it right to ban businesses from selling any size drinks they want?

Will these limitations help cut down on obesity?

Demons2011 responded:
Nanny stateism - get the hell out of my life, and work on some real problems. Like the economy, jobs, medical costs - should I continue the list?

Most fast food places, have free refills available. Anyone can get as much as they want and more. Outside of being politically correct it's abhorent.

Mayor Bloomberg, please contain your enthusiasm about being on the news and get some real work done.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Supersized drinks don't make people fat....PEOPLE usually make people fat by wrong choices, over-eating, lack of exercise, etc.

The government has no right to limit the size of drinks, the number of hamburgers someone can eat, or the size of French fries.

Spend time on more important issues than trying to control what people eat or drink.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Nope, won't help cut down on obesity. What's to stop them from getting refills as Demons2011 said or just ordering more than one drink? Not only do fast food places usually have free refills but most sit-down restaurants do as well.

Nope, not right to ban businesses from selling any size drinks they want. Will the ban apply to gas stations or convenience stores that sell the mega size drinks?

iocasta responded:
Do I think it will help? Not likely. Does NYC have a governmental interest? Yes, here is an example: grossly overweight and obese people often take up more than one seat on bus and trains but only pay for one. Therefore, the city looses revenue. Also, as the combined weight goes up on the bus, it causes excess wear and tear on them, increasing maintenance costs. As the buses increase their weight they cause excessive wear and tear on the city streets, again increasing maintenance costs. So yes, here is but one small example of why NYC does have a reason to try to curb the obesity epidemic.

ofe2012 responded:
I believe it is no one's business other than the citizen itself. Whether you lower the size, I don't see the difference because if you lower the size, the person might want to get a refill.

fenton04 replied to iocasta's response:
I agree but if you think about it the New York City government would better be served but rounding up the obese citizens and sending them to re education camps. That way the peoples republic of new york and chairman Bloomberg can focus on more pressing needs of the citizens. OBTW you forgot the excessive amount of air that the obese people use.

3point14 responded:
If they don't limit how many people can buy....it's kinda pointless, huh?

Demons2011 replied to iocasta's response:
Nice to see a socialist education applied. The other persons comment (sarcastic) on re-education camps cuts both ways. Perhaps we should round up all the socialists re-educate them on personal responsibility, personal freedoms, etc. They just might appreciate the Constitution more. NYC does not have a governmental interest in portion control. No where in our Constitution or States constitution is that given over to the government. Stay the heck out of my life.

Demons2011 responded:
Potion Control, food, health care, cars, toilet paper and pets - why not just give over everything to the gov. Wait there won't be any taxpayers left. Wait that's already happening. 51/49 last I heard. Maybe the 1% can afford all the rest of us.

fenton04 replied to Demons2011's response:
Just a reply to locasta specious response. As a frequent public trasportation consumer. When you buy a ticket, pass, etc etc for the bus, subway. trolley etc etc. You are not buying a seat. You are buying a passage. If the bus subway trolley seats are full you stand. There is no weight limit. You can bring on a 110 pound barbell set if you like. So I am thinking that locasta is a big big government fan. So I wanted to make locasta feel welcome.

fcl replied to 3point14's response:
No, because the point isn't to stop you drinking as much as you want but to raise awareness of how much you really are drinking, by making you think about whether you really DO want to go back and buy a second (or third, or fourth, ..) one.

Jeune1 replied to 3point14's response:
Excellent point!

3point14 replied to fcl's response:
In that case, I find it weird that anyone thinks the city has any place being their conscience as to what they eat or drink.

fcl replied to 3point14's response:
But they're not being youir conscience - just giving you the chance to stop and think. How many people finish those huge drinks just because they've paid for them?

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More