Work Uniforms -- What crosses the line?
A waitress in California recently sued her company when they allegedly fired her for complaining about the skimpy skirt she was required to wear as a uniform.

It seems that lots of businesses like to consider their employees part of an entertainment package to bring in customers. Hooters girls have always been required to wear the short shorts and t-shirts as part of their work "uniform". Employees at Disney have strict rules that go as far as what type of facial hair they can grow.

When do you think the "uniform" has crossed the line?

Are companies within their rights to require their employees to wear what suits the business best?

Shout out!

3point14 responded:
Who applies at Hooters not expecting to be objectified? Who applies for a job at Disney and doesn't expect to have to look family friendly? I think it's ridiculous to not anticipate a company having a guideline for how they want their employees to dress.

In the same way one needs different certifications to be eligible for a job, I think it's reasonable to expect there to also be dress codes.

Why did this woman not raise an objection at her interview? I personally wouldn't want to work as a waitress in a skimpy skirt so I understand her gripe, but there's no way that that was just sprung on her. I think it's the responsibility of the applicant to ask questions about what is expected of them though, and then up to themselves to determine if that's what they want to do.

rohvannyn replied to 3point14's response:
Good point. Besides, some people do their research ahead of time and know in advance what is generally worn. It's amazing what you can learn by peeking into the break room or watching people as they walk in and out. And there are some folks who like wearing revealing clothing on the job. Usually they would notice what is worn ahead of time.

butterflygarden responded:
I think that Disney gets a lot of leeway in their hiring because they go about it as they are "casting a show." Makes sense, I guess.

In the same vein, a bar or restaurant is kind of doing the same thing. They are creating an experience for their customers, sort of a mini-show.

The points the two members above already made are well-taken. If you don't want to wear the skimpy costume, then find work elsewhere.

The only flaw in my argument is that these days it may be a bit harder to find something else.

Butterfly