Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

metformin and iodine interaction
    sensen22 posted:
    I had a CT scan which required an injection of iodine. The tec told me to stop taking my metformin for a couple of day or at least until I had a blood test to determine if any damage had been done to my liver. Anyone know any thing about this matter, or where I can find information about the possible interactions of there drugs?

DavidHueben responded:
    The contrast agent used in some CT scans contains iodine. It is filtered by the kidneys. Usually the doctor will order a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) to assess kidney function prior to the scan.

Also, it is customary to discontinue the Metformin the day of the scan and for a few days after the scan.

That was my experience. Here is a link with more information:

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Patient-Care/Our-Services/Medical-Services/Radiology-Imaging-Services/Documents/MetforminAndYourCTScan_12_06.pdf

David
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that is bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

tips to help me help a family member
    does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD