metformin and iodine interaction
sensen22 posted:
I had a CT scan which required an injection of iodine. The tec told me to stop taking my metformin for a couple of day or at least until I had a blood test to determine if any damage had been done to my liver. Anyone know any thing about this matter, or where I can find information about the possible interactions of there drugs?

DavidHueben responded:
The contrast agent used in some CT scans contains iodine. It is filtered by the kidneys. Usually the doctor will order a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) to assess kidney function prior to the scan.

Also, it is customary to discontinue the Metformin the day of the scan and for a few days after the scan.

That was my experience. Here is a link with more information:

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Patient-Care/Our-Services/Medical-Services/Radiology-Imaging-Services/Documents/MetforminAndYourCTScan_12_06.pdf

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that is bad for you! -Tommy Smothers