Challenge - Week 4 - Cranberries
Antioxidants abound in these scrumptious Fall berries. You can use them in recipes that are both sweet and savory. Give us your best recipes for these yummy superfruits.

(And don't forget to include photos if you have them!)

Good luck.
Olivia

An_240489 responded:
First, let me say that I'm not a big cider fan. That being said, I LOVE this cider recipe-and its great for kids and grownups alike.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/hot-spiced-cranberry-cider-recipe

lamiablk0 responded:
Curried Cranberry Couscous

1 box plain couscous
2 cups low sodium fat free chicken broth
1 Cup diced hothouse cucumber
1/4 cup sliced green onions
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup crumbled feta
3 tsp curry powder (or garam masala)
1/3 cup nonfat Greek style yogurt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lime juice

Heat chicken broth and 2 tsp Curry Powder (or to taste) to a boil then add couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes then fluff with fork.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix chopped nuts, cranberries and cucumber and sliced green onions. In a small bowl, mix yogurt, 1 tsp Curry Powder (or to taste), oil and lime juice. Then mix with fruit and nuts. Add cooked couscous and toss to combine.

VERY Yummy with all sorts of foods. I've served it with Moroccan tagines, Indian-style chicken, even with burgers!

healthynosh responded:
Christmas Salad

There used to be a restaurant in Vancouver called "The Whip". This is my version of their Lotus Salad. I renamed it because the colors are so vibrant and Christmasey.

1 small box mixed baby lettuces
5 leaves romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
1 big handful dried cranberries
1 big handful walnut pieces
1 tub crumbled reduced fat blue cheese
1/2 big red onion, cut into rings
1 handful cilantro, minced, leaving a few leaves intact

Dressing: 3 Tablesspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon blueberry syrup
6 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Wash lettuces and whole cilantro, drain and spin dry in salad spinner. Tear up romaine and mince cilantro. Toss cilantro and lettuces in a mixing bowl with half of the dressing, and place in serving bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients on top: cheese first, then the onion rings, then walnuts, then cranberries. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top and serve immediately.

lamiablk0 replied to healthynosh's response:
Oooh, that sounds fabulous! I'll have to try that

Healthy Plate Recipe Challenge

Got a competitive streak? Submit your fruit and veggie recipes and you could be voted cream of the crop.

learn more

Expert Blog

Healthy Recipe Doctor - Elaine Magee, MPH, RD