I recently was stung several times by several bees (unsure of what type... the bee did not leave a stinger behind). There was the typical acute pain and swelling which I expected from previous bee sting incidents.
However, 20 minutes after this I began suffering from hives which covered a large portion of my body to include the crotch, arm pits and elbow area. There was a lot of itching, but no swelling. I took 2 doses of Benadryl (Over a 6 hour period) and the symptoms went away. The symptoms at best could be described as uncomfortable and annoying. There were no other significant symptoms which accompanied the hives.
As a I understand it (from the reading I have done on the net), hives resulting from a bee sting are very bad as these hives could trigger anaphylactic shock and that I should probably see an allergist.
Am I right in my concerns? I have never had any sort of issue in terms of allergies in any of my medical history and I am surprised that I had such an acute reaction from this sting. I have been stung before, but never had hives until now.
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.