I recently was stung several times by several bees (unsure of what type... the bee did not leave a stinger behind). There was the typical acute pain and swelling which I expected from previous bee sting incidents.
However, 20 minutes after this I began suffering from hives which covered a large portion of my body to include the crotch, arm pits and elbow area. There was a lot of itching, but no swelling. I took 2 doses of Benadryl (Over a 6 hour period) and the symptoms went away. The symptoms at best could be described as uncomfortable and annoying. There were no other significant symptoms which accompanied the hives.
As a I understand it (from the reading I have done on the net), hives resulting from a bee sting are very bad as these hives could trigger anaphylactic shock and that I should probably see an allergist.
Am I right in my concerns? I have never had any sort of issue in terms of allergies in any of my medical history and I am surprised that I had such an acute reaction from this sting. I have been stung before, but never had hives until now.