I started working a new job in Sept., 2013. In October I started with breathing problems that gradually got more severe. I have been asthmatic all my life but it's been controlled with routine asthma meds i.e. Advair 100/50, Singulair and an occasional (once/year) dose of prednisone.
Now I am on Symbicort, Flovent, Spiriva, Fluticasone, 35 mg prednisone, albuterol (nebulizer and rescue). The onset and severity was so sudden and acute that it is almost surreal.
I will have questions about Xolair but for now the questions are around my workplace since that seems to be the only thing that has changed in my life. They have conducted CO, CO2, and mold tests at my office. All results have been negative. There are other people getting sick but their's seems to be manifested in sinus headache, watery eyes etc. My reaction about 3 weeks ago sent me to the Emergency Room and required an overnight stay in the hospital.
They are willing to test for other things but they and I don't know what that could be. Does anyone have any guidance and/or resource which might give a clue as to what I've been exposed to? The doctors can't do allergy skin tests on me because they are ineffective with people taking oral steroids. But blood tests showed that I am NOT allergic to the standard pollen and molds yet my IGE test score was 979 (normal is less than 100). I'm told that is an indication that I've had an acute reaction to something I've inhaled but they don't know what.
As far as Xolair goes - once a person starts on it, if they get better, can a person stop taking it at some point?
I'm really in a quandary as to what my next steps should be and would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thanks.
Thanks for the input. Since I was last on this blog, I actually had a couple of severe issues. I was admitted to the hospital twice through the ER. The second time I had to be intubated. Since then I have managed to limit my time in the office and have gotten better, but still can't seem to get off of the oral steroids which is causing other problems - so far only minor ones.
Until a couple of days ago, Xolair didn't seem like an option because of the cost - $1200/month, and that's with coverage from my medical insurance. But a couple of days ago, my doctor told me that I may be able to get it free of charge. I'm waiting to hear back from the Dr. and hopefully get started on it. I've heard good things about Xolair.
Again, thanks for the positive feedback. It helps!View Thread
Not forward at all. I'm grasping at straws at this point and trying my best to get through this. I have an appointment with the Lung Center at Temple Hospital and hoping that they come up with something to help me. I'm pretty desperate at this point. Thanks for your compassion. I'm sure you can relate to what I'm going through.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. As you can imagine my situation has gotten very desperate. They have run additional mold tests but I suspect they are for the typical molds. If the results still come back negative, I will suggest these additional tests although I don't know if they will agree to do them.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately since writing my initial question, I had another asthma attack which required me to be intubated and again admitted into the hospital for a few days. I think because of my IGE results, the doctors are saying that it IS an allergic reaction. As you can imagine, the situation has become desperate for me and I don't know where to turn at this point. I feel pretty helpless.View Thread