1. Depression may be inherited from family members. The more family you have that are depressed, the more likely you will be. Perhaps genetics is to blame for about 30% of depression where stress, family upbringing, trauma and personality style is the other 70%.
2. You may inherit genes for depression...you can also inherit the ability to respond to certain medicines that other family members respond too. So, if your dad responded well to prozac, your chances are good too as you likely have the same type of 'genetic' depression which was reversed by prozac in your dad. Doctors should ask you if you have had a family history of depression AND what meds your family took and their response to itView Thread
Saphris (asenapine) is FDA approved to treat acute mania from bipolar disorder or the symptoms of schizophrenia. It is a drug that is placed under the tongue and not swallowed directly. You ask how it works.... By blocking one type of dopamine receptor it stops the above disorders. It blocks a serotonin receptor which is counter intuitive but this blocking may help increase other chemicals that help depression (dopamine, norepinephrine... in other parts of the brain. It is also my understanding that it shares chemical properties with a well known antidepressant called remeron/mirtazapine. Many of these meds for schizophrenia have been used for treating depression and some have been FDA approved recently (abilify and seroquel XR)View Thread
You can also advocate for yourself once you know this. 1- start at a dose lower than that usually advocated by the FDA. Do this for a few days to get your body and brain used to it in order to hopefully lower your side effect risks 2- increase and take the lowest FDA dose for 4-6 weeks 3- if you are not better increase to the middle dose for 4-6 weeks 4- if you are not better increase to the highest FDA dose for 4-6 weeks.
if you and your doctor accomplish this then you have had a 'full trial' of the antidepressant. If the full trial has failed, ask your doctor for another similar trial ideally of an antidepressant to works on a different set of neurotransmitters. Do not stay on the same low dosed antidepressant for several months if it is not helping....View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.