I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience.
I post on a couple of other forums, and Candi knows that I am a moderator on one of them in particular.
E Journals is a topic that a lot new E patients truly don't understand the importance of, and I just can't stress them enough. I'm going to post below what I tend to tell the newbies on the other forum that I moderate on to put in their E journals. You can adapt it as needed, and I know some of the others here, such as Tammy, have brought them up before. But, having one has certainly helped MY neuro. It can certainly help YOURS.
1. Sleep. List how much & when.
2. Eating. List how much, when & what. It's possible to have seizures caused by allergies to food.
3. TV/computer/video games. Yup, they can affect you if you're photosensitive, so list when, what, and HOW LONG.
4. Menses (for women). Start tracking your cycles. CATAMENIAL epilepsy does exist, sometimes it's tied to ovulation, sometimes its right at the TOM.
5. Stress List when it occurred, and what happened.
6. Exercise List what you did, when, and any reactions.
7. Seizures/auras. If you have either, DOCUMENT THEM. Auras--note what they're like--do you smell or taste something that others don't? Hear something? Seizures--how long, when, where, what happened. If you don't KNOW what happened, get eyewitness accounts when possible and DOCUMENT THEM.
8. Smoking and alcohol. Ditch them--both are neurotoxins for our brains.
9. Meds (of ANY kind). List the dosages, and when taken.
1. You MUST get 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep as a MINIMUM, no ifs, ands or buts about it.
2. Eating--one of the other mods at one of the other forums promotes eating 6 small meals a day, using a dessert plate, filling it with a carb and a protein. Good idea, I think. However, some people, like me are allergic to certain foods. You might want to look into various diets. Ketogenic, Modified Atkins, Low Glycemix Index, Gluten Free Casein Free (see www.dogtorj.com).
3. Look into a glare screen or blue tinted polarized GLASSES (available by prescription from eye doctor). These can help cut down on seizures that are caused by photosensitive epilepsy.
4. GUYS--you may not have a cycle, but you DO have hormones. DO get your doc to do a full hormone screen, check thyroid, etc, just to make sure.
5. Use things like yoga, music, walking, whatever it is that you do to bust out your stress. Keep a separate journal to write in so that you can write out your feelings in--and keep it for your eyes only. Write it out by hand, two or three pages at a time. It helps A LOT. DO IT EVERY DAY.
6. REFLEX E can be caused by exercise, so DO track what you do. Keep in mind that you SHOULD NOT swim, bike, hike or bungee jump by yourself. Same goes for mountain climbing.
7, 8 & 9. 'Nuff said.
OK, the journal IS a pain in the arse. No doubt about that one. BUT it DOES help the doctors track things down. Especially in patients like me, who have multiple diagnoses going on (Candi can vouch for this).
I've got to get going--I'm hooked up to a portable EEG as we speak, and I've got meds to take. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. Candi knows how to find me, as I really don't know if I can find my way back in here again.
Good luck, and take care everyone. Hopefully, I can find my way back here again.........*eyeroll* Don't count on it though..... *chuckling*
I do hope everyone had a wonderful New Year, full of whatever it is you like to do on New Years. I spent mine with my family, and had a wonderful time.
This week is Financial Wellness Week, during our countries economy it's been even harder to find financial wellness for a lot of people. But what about when you have medical expenses. What are ways you have or would like to get yourself to a good place Financially? Any tips for those members who are just starting out on ways to save money and still get quality care and medications? I'm sure there are some who would love to hear your ideas!
While you are thinking of that, tell me what you are doing for yourself this week? Me, I am re-reading a book I got for Christmas it was so good I think I'll read it again!
We are shuffling around our communities between moderators, and starting Monday, you'll be getting a new moderator. Haylen, will be taking over as moderator on this community.
I am not leaving WebMD, so I'll still be around at other communities. Please know that I will miss reading about your stories everyday. You've brightened my day coming here. Please continue to support each other and help make Haylen feel welcome!
I too went from Danielle Steele to Nora Roberts for the same reason, it was the same story with just different characters in a different town. I am sad to hear Nora is leaning towards the same avenue. It's been years since I've gotten a new Nora book to read. Maybe it's better this way. I just read The Host by Stephanie Meyers and am thinking of re-reading it. I really and truly enjoyed it.
Shame on the lottery, I was hoping one of us could have won!View Thread
I will miss you too Candi, and I am all over WebMD in many communities. Not any that I can think of that you'd wonder into unless you were looking for me lol. I have baby's first year, sexual health, relationships, all the TTC communities and MS.
Take care of yourself and I will pop in from time to time, if I get a chance to check in on you guys!
Well it's officially winter, how are you dealing with winter where you are? We have SNOW, and lots of it here. With more to come soon. I am trying to stay home as much as possible. How do you deal with winter?
How are you taking care of yourself this week, I must admit I am not. Last night was shopping, tonight I might just stay home and relax, but tomorrow it's back out in it again!View Thread
Somehow I think we talked about holiday shopping before. Maybe before Thanksgiving? How is your holiday shopping coming along? For me I have all the kids done, except for stocking stuffers. I have to get my parents and my siblings and of course my SO. Otherwise the biggest part of my shopping is done, all the kids in the family!
While you are busy, baking, shopping, decorating for the holidays are you remembering to take care of yourself? What did you do or have you planned for this week to take care of yourself? I am thinking of getting a manicure and a pedicure. We'll see though it's been a while and I sure could use one!
Oh Ladies and Gents, it's that time of the week. What are you doing in this cold weather to take care of yourself? I am Christmas Shopping online, lol. I know simple joys huh? But I LOVE Christmas shopping and doing it online keeps me from being out in the cold. So spill it, what are you doing to take care of yourself?
Also it's National Hand washing Week, so that got me to thinking about pet peeves. What are some of your pet peeves? I have a pet peeve about hand washing. I swear, I see more people use the bathroom, and not wash their hands grown adults. The other thing is chewing with your mouth open, or talking while eating. These drive me insane.