Hi there. I was hoping to gain a little insight regarding ovarian cysts as I was recently diagnosed and am weighing my options.
Long story short..
I have been having bouts of severe abdominal pain since the spring of this year and since I already have IBS I went to see my gastro Dr. about it. She didn't really know what the pain could be but we decided to monitor it for now. In May I had a trip to the ER due to horrific pain during my period... I am talking crying and laying on the floor in the fetal position pain. They did a CT and said I had colitis as they saw fluid in my colon and pelvis and said to follow up with my gastro Dr. I follow up with her and she recommends we do a colonoscopy and that comes back perfectly normal. I am back in her office again with another bout of severe pain and she says well maybe it's your ovarian cyst. I say, "What cyst????" She then tells me that she happened to look over my CT from the hospital from MAY and we are now in October at this point and says that it indicated an ovarian cyst that was 5.2cm at that time. I told her the ER never said a word about it, I had no idea. So, I go see my OB/GYN and they schedule an ultrasound.
I had the US yesterday and they said what I have on my ovary is two cysts that have grown together to form a cyst mass that measures almost 7cm total now. They also said it looks to be a hemorrhagic or endometrioma. I also have 3 small uterine fibroid but they said they should not cause me issues with their size right now. So the NP says "Well we can just wait and see if they go away (which so far they have no after 6 months since the first time they were discovered) or I can consider surgery" I decided to set up a surgery consult to get more info.
Am I overreacting by considering surgery for this kind/size cyst?? I of course have started researching them and from what I find, these kind of cysts seem to not resolve themselves at this size and the fact that they are blood filled or endometrioma. If I wait, I fear that my pain will keep getting worse and either I will have torsion or it'll burst. That said, I don't want to jump the gun if it "may" go away. Any insight would be great!!
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.