Hi. My husband and I are currently trying to conceive our second child, but my husband has autoimmune hepatitis and needs to start treatment to get it under control.
He is going to need to be put on prednisone as well as imuran. I understand that conceiving while taking imuran can lead to genetic abnormalities. We would love to conceive our second child and then have my husband start the treatment but I am getting so worried as my husband has developed yellowing of his eyes as well as a bit of stomach distention. So, needless to say, I think he needs to start treatment immediately.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice for us in this arena. Is it possible that we could safely conceive if he started treatment with taking prednisone only and holding off on the imuran until we conceived? Or could the prednisone also cause genetic problems with a developing fetus?
Of course my husband's health comes first and foremost here, but we were really hoping that there is something that he could take which would put him back on the road to health but could allow us to safely keep trying to conceive.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!View Thread
My husband is 28 years old and has Autoimmune Hepatitis. He is extremely active and is going to be going to Park City, Utah later this week to ski. He is not currently on treatment for his Autoimmune Hepatitis and has recently been developing symptoms that are very concerning to me (i.e. yellowing of the eyes, extreme fatigue, distended stomach--not too bad but it's definitely not normal).
He has been giving me such push back on starting treatment as he wants us to conceive our second child before he goes on treatment...but I feel as though time is not in our favor.
I am deathly afraid that something terrible is going to happen while he is skiing because it is such an extreme sport and causes his to exert himself so much. Is this is valid concern? Skiing is his passion and he is giving me a hard time about this--saying that I am being overly worried.
I need someone to give me some advice. I desperately want my husband to realize the severity of this disorder. I think he is in denial about it and I can't seem to get through to him.
So my questions are 1:) Does anyone have information about skiing while having the symptoms I listed above? (I just imagine something terrible happening--a rupture possibly--is this valid or am I being overly worried about something that is perfectly safe to do with this condition? and #2.) Does anyone have any insight on a treatment that would be safe for him to start while we can still try to conceive?
Thank you for your advice and support. It is so much appreciated.View Thread