Anyone who finds out young they have high BP is luckier then someone who does not realize it until they are much older. Long time HBP causes problems that are irreversible and that medications will not 'cure'. Taking a few pills every day for the rest of your life is going to lead to a longer life. Being 68, close to normal weight and engaging in some exercise and smoking and drinking very little...eating right, and getting enough sleep and watching my salt intake has my BP down where it is good enough for me...coupled with low dose single ingredient medications. My major complaint is side effects, and making sure I do not become part of the hoards of the elderly that I think are over-medicated. I'm retired and work on my stress levels. Nothing will make your PB high then stress which can be caused by simply going to the doctor. I do not let my doctor prescribe for me at levels (of medication) that would be indicated by a reading taken at most twice every three months forming the basis of dosages prescribed. It is always too high in the doctor's office. My high BP comes from one non-normally-functioning kidney in which a stent was placed a couple years ago. So for ten days I take my own BP readings three times a day for those ten days, and bring those results with me. It is those readings I insist on being prescribed for. They run 140-120 top number...the low number is never high. Taking a couple or a few pills a day is not that big a deal. It is no different then taking a vitamin or a birth control pill.View Thread
As originally prescribed I took the low dose pills (one tenth of a milligram) two in the AM. Within a half hour I'd have to go back to bed and I'd sleep another three to five hours. But it did miracles to bring my BP down...especially fast. But that dose puts me to sleep, and a half dose just makes me way to impaired to drive. I'd be as dangerous to myself and others just as much as if I'd drunk a bottle of wine all by myself...maybe more. I tried the patch at huge expense and it did not bring down my BP...tried them for two or three months. I had an issue too with the patches coming off before 24 hours had passed. I now take one low dose Clonodine pill at night at bedtime along with my second metaprolol of the day. In the morning I take one of those too, and a diuretic, and Amlodipine. I've had much better luck with taking individual drugs then combination pills. It took well over a year including a kidney stent to get it under control but it has been stable for quite some time now...which I define as between 120-140 as he lower number is never high. The patch is awesomely expensive compared to the meds and for me, did not work.View Thread
It is taking what seems forever to stabilize my BP with meds and the side effects of some of them were not acceptable. I've found that over time...and that may be a period of months...side effects tend to go away. It was a statin anyway causing the effect totally unacceptable.
Side effects come in degrees of acceptability. Some that are merely annoying, or marginal in effect...may turn out to be OK if you give it enough time. By that I mean a few months.
I've read of folks taking something for a few days, or a week and finding the results unacceptable. If my experience is any indication then you have to give it a longer try.View Thread
I got compulsive and started taking my BP ten times a day. Worrying about it caused stress that made it jump. I'm a lot better off taking my meds as prescribed, and limiting to taking in once or twice a day. If once, then I do it mid afternoon. BP is usually high for everyone in the morning.
It took some talking but finally my doctor prescribed an anti-anxiety med. Apparently she was worried I'd get dependent on it. Although I take (as needed) a very low dose just having it if I need it reduced my anxiety. She prescribed a low dose which should last me three months. At four months plus...I still had a lot left.
There is a big gray area between being concerned about your health, and being obsessed and anxious. Controlling high BP is a lifelong commitment so give the meds some time to work.
I was having a hard time keeping mine below 120/xx (bottom number is seldom high) and decided that at my age (66) that I did not want to be over-medicated to achieve that goal, that 140/xx was going to be good enough. Oddly enough, when I stopped worrying about making that 120 goal, I did.
All drugs have effects, some intended, and some 'side' effects. There are side effects I'm willing to live with, and those I'm not. I have a 35% chance of dying of heart disease or stroke, and a 65% chance of dying of anything else including cancer...but I have a 100% chance of dying. So I focus on living.View Thread
I had a kidney stent in March which isn't working to reduce BP. The surgeon's advice is if that didn't work, then removing that kidney is the next step. I'm not all that sure about that. That's a big step. I've read that spiking BP at night is 'normal' but sometimes I get spikes for nothing during waking hours. The lower number almost never goes over 80, but the top one sometimes goes to 180-190. Recent advice to patients has included the suggestion to try taking prescribed BP meds at night instead of in the morning.
I was suffering so many side effects from prescribed meds that four months ago I started changing how I took them with some level of success. I do not take more then has been prescribed, but I stopped taking a statin that I've decided was not worth it.
Turns out that statin was causing many of the side effects I was unwilling to live with. My cholest. is not that high...and my diet is good with almost no prepared food, fast food, or restaurant food. Low fat, olive oil, and very moderate salt. Half gallon of fluids a day 75% of which is plain tap water.
I have a relatively stress free life...most stress rising from being concerned about the side effects of a bunch of drugs that don't seem to be working but requiring more drugs to combat those side effects. I'm convinced most older Americans are over medicated. I do not want to be one.
I'm taking five meds. One slows my heart rate way down and it is normally only 60 anyway...one if taken as directed makes me WAY to impaired to drive, and puts me to sleep. One makes me stupid, and one causes right shoulder pain, and the last one is a water pill and has the usual effect.
Four months ago I started compulsively taking my BP and taking meds 'as needed'. I suspect some 'low' spikes 150-160 are just 'normal'. I think they are largely just not realized by most folks because most folks do not take their BP 10-12 times every day as I do. I have two goals...to not have surgery to remove a kidney, and to reduce meds so side effects will be reduced.
I sometimes halve tablets, and take them more often, and I take the ones that make me sleepy at night which tends to combat those that give me insomnia which I take in the morning. I get them all from an independent small drugstore where I actually know the druggist, and he me. He knows a lot more about drugs then doctors do.
All of this is a pain but I'm more willing to do this then have a kidney removed without any guarantee that this will solve my high BP issue. I'm due to return to my 'regular' doctor whom I don't annoy as much as I do most of them for blood work. She is prescribing based on one BP reading a month...that just can't be as accurate as my readings are. But no doctor is going to write a bunch of RXs and tell you to take them 'as needed'.
For decades the guideline for high BP was 140...not too long ago it was reduced to 120. I'm not convinced this is all that beneficial and not the effort of big Pharmaceutical to sell more pills to increasingly younger folks.
I started questioning test results when told by a previous doctor that a sugar reading of 101 was 'high' and that he was going to prescribe a sugar pill. Turns out some machine tagged this as high by one point. Since then...when some reading is out of range, I want to know by how much. I get my results, do the research, then return to the doctor to discuss them. Like I said, sometimes I annoy them.View Thread