To all parents out there who have a child with kidney problems...I hope this helps you. I was born with what's called a renal anomaly, or basically a malformed kidney. It showed up when I was two years old, as I became very ill. This was in the early 1970s. My right kidney had formed what the doctors called a "mass" with an extra ureter tube connected to the bladder. This is genetic, come to find out. My maternal great-grandmother died from kidney poisoning and my maternal grandmother was born with one kidney. It skipped my mother and two older sisters and was passed on to me. They removed the mass on my kidney and most of the extra tube. I've been ok until lately. I've always drank water, so the younger the better to teach your child that drinking cool, clean water not only tastes so good but is good for you. Please keep in mind to also teach them to take care of their body, hence, their remaining kidney. Teach them the dangers of smoking, lack of water consumption, exercise, etc. that can affect kidney health later on in adulthood. Please keep current with their doctor if there are any problems. If you (or they, later in life) notice any changes in anything, such as fatigue, urine flow/color/frequency, etc., have them see their doctor. Staying healthy will help them in the future. Eat foods that promote good kidney function. That's the wonderful thing about the Internet is all this information is out there. I am now trying to get in to see a kidney doctor-a Nephrologist. Almost four years ago I had an ultrasound for my gall bladder. The PA I saw back then failed to tell me I had a cyst on that abnormal kidney. Now it has grown and I have back pain. I will keep this post updated as to my condition, but that's why I say please make sure to teach your children-even as young adults it's also important to obtain copies of your medical records so you can catch something your doctor may not tell you. Please keep records of what they do for your child/children as far as this or any other condition goes, so they have it for future reference. My Mom didn't think to do that back in the 70s and I wish she had. Most hospitals and doctors offices only keep records for up to 20-25 years, after that, they are destroyed. I wish you all the best and remember; your child will be fine, promote good health and teach them to take good care of their bodies as they grow.View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.