I have severe osteo in both hips and knees as well as severe stenosis. I have had 2 successful hips replaced and now the attention is on my knees. My left knee has, in the past, been quite painful and is severely restricted - unable to straighten it out and therefore walk with a limp. However, the pain has been less in the past few months. I am already on pain meds for my back.
My quandry is that I have heard that the only reason to have surgery is to reduce pain - and that the contracture is not a reason to replace the joint. But I am concerned that postponing the surgery will contribute to more contracture and therefore reduce my ultimate recovery of ROM.
I am only 55 years old and want to return to some semblance of normalcy. The posts in this board about post TJR pain and swelling are frightening me.
Any ideas? To operate now (already have surgery date) or wait until pain returns (possibly having to wait 4-6 months for a surgery date).View Thread