Zachary Brian Jennings was born on July 27 weighing 9lbs 2oz.
So I was due on July 22, but he evidently wasn't ready to come out then. The day before I went into labor I had a doctor's appt. and was almost 3cm, 100% effaced. I woke up around 4 am on the 27th with a couple of contractions that were a bit stronger than what I'd been having; by 4:30 I was pretty convinced that was going to be the day so I got up and did some laundry and dishes and just getting things ready to go. Cx were coming every 10 min or so but weren't real strong or getting closer so we figured we had a while. Mid morning we went to a park where I walked a mile or so around the trail while my older boys played, but that didn't seem to help speed things up and it was HOT so we went back home. By around noon they had gotten closer, to around 5 min or so, but still weren't too intense and were sometimes still 8-10 min b/w some of them. But DH was starting to get concerned so we started getting things ready to go. We took the boys over to my parents' house and sat and chatted for a bit there. I had a couple of cx in a row that were a lot stronger so I finally told DH that maybe we should get going. We got to the hospital around 2 and while walking in I had a couple more strong ones that were only 3 min apart. They brought me into triage and hooked me up to monitors - cx were showing up every 4-6 min, and I'd have an occasional one that was really intense but most were still not too bad. After about half an hour a nurse finally comes in to check me. She took awhile and finally said, "wow, you're good, you're 9.5 cm." Said she would have come in to check me sooner but I was just so calm she figured I couldn't be too far along. Asked if I was wanting an epidural and when I said no said it was a good thing b/c there wasn't going to be time. They wheeled me over to L&D where nurses were frantically trying to get the room and such ready while my doctor jogged over from his office next to the hospital. He got there and broke my water. I had a couple of more cx that weren't really that bad, then when everything was ready they said let's push. So I did and DS came flying out in about 2 minutes, 1.5 pushes later. I did tear a little but not too bad. DS had some fluid in his lungs - he came out so fast it didn't have time to get smooshed out - so he was really raspy/snorty/sneezy for the first couple of days, but is doing fine now. I'm very sore from breastfeeding, but that is going well too for the most part.
I'm really happy with my med-free delivery experience. Good luck to all you other mamas!View Thread
Welcome! Having natural births has been a great choice for me. I was like you in that I knew I wanted to go med-free, but NONE of my friends had done it and kind of laughed and said just wait when I said I wanted to. I really didn't think I would be able to going into it, but when the time came it really was not nearly as bad as I expected from the horror stories I had heard and shows I had watched. The thing that helped me the most with my first was waiting as long as possible to go to the hospital. I actually probably waited a bit too long, but at least by the time I got there getting an epi was not even an option (I was already 10cm). But I think being able to move around and labor my own way helped a ton in keeping me as comfortable as possible through contractions. My second I did have to be induced and was terrified of the pitocin, but again it was not as bad as I had feared, and that time I at least knew that I could and had done it before, and labor was much much shorter so that helped too.
Just don't let people tell you that you can't do it; women have been having babies for thousands of years, it's what we are designed to do. Obviously there are some exceptions and extenuating circumstances that can change things. Try to avoid any interventions you can, especially being induced before your body and baby are really completely ready, and you have every chance of having a beautiful med-free birth experience!View Thread
There are definitely OB's out there that are not always necessarily looking out for your best interest - let's face it, they get paid WAY more for a c/s than a vaginal birth - but I do think most of them want to help you as much as possible.
I agree that the best things to do to avoid a situation like that are 1 - avoid being induced if at all possible and 2 - wait as long as you can to go to the hospital. Labor does stall out sometimes, but with an induction it may just be that your body and the baby weren't really quite ready, plus there are things you can do to help get it going again. An hour does not seem like a very long time to wait, especially if there is no distress on the baby. Move around if you can - even if you are on monitors/IV you can still stand right by the bed or even move around on the bed. My SIL just had her third and had to be induced. labor was stalled b/c baby wasn't moving down - her nurse had her get on all fours on the bed and that somehow helped the baby twist right or something and she was born 30 minutes later. My hospital requires you to have an IV (my mom was the last woman to deliver there without an IV, 32 years ago today!), so that is not an option for me, but I do agree that the fewer interventions you allow then the fewer opportunities for problems/complications to arise.
Of course there is always the possibility of the unexpected happening, so I would try not to get too set on having it go a certain way. But being prepared and having your hubby on board with your wishes are a great start! Good luck!View Thread
My birthing ball was a lifesaver, especially with my second that I had to be induced with. Even with the IV/monitor I was able to get out of bed and sit on it and it really helped me get through contractions. Even during the later part of pregnancy it felt really good to sit on. With my first I just walked around a lot and I think that helped.
As far as eating, that was the last thing I was thinking about or wanting to do, at least as labor progressed and contractions were coming often and regularly.View Thread
Thank you! I am around 21 weeks or so now, due date is July 22. My first 2 are 5 and 3 1/2 now, so it is fun to have them more involved/aware of what's going on this time. They are so excited for the baby to get here.
I don't remember what the pitocin was set at, but I'm pretty sure they never had to up it once we got started.
I wish more women would trust that their bodies can handle labor/delivery on their own (most of the time anyway) instead of heading straight for the epidural and the additional complications it can cause. I just heard on the radio this morning that maternal fatalities while giving birth have risen significantly over the past 10 years (don't remember the exact numbers), but they are partly blaming it on the huge increase in c/s rates. Women don't seem to realize the risks involved in having a major surgery like a c/s.
I have a couple of friends that have had successful hospital VBAC's, but I know they had to really fight to have it go as they wanted, so I totally understand wanting to avoid that. If I had the option of a midwife at the hospital or even better a birthing center I'd go that route, but it's not possible here. Last I checked there are only 10 certified midwives in the state and only 2 in my area. Hopefully Missouri will catch up with the times eventually!View Thread
Hi! I'm pregnant with my 3rd son and planning for another med-free hospital birth. I had positive experiences with my first 2 so feel totally comfortable going that route again. Certified midwives have only been legal in my state for the last couple of years, so homebirth was not really an option with my first two, and now we live further out of town and have a supportive OB so I'm most comfortable going back to the hospital.
My first I went in knowing I wanted to have a med-free birth, but figuring that I wouldn't be able to handle it. None of my friends or SIL's had gone w/o an epidural, even those that said they wanted to going in ended up getting one, so I just didn't think I could do it if they couldn't. My mom at least was supportive so I wanted to give it a try. I went into labor on my due date and labored at home for a long time. I was really paranoid of getting to the hospital too soon and being sent home, so I waited and waited. I really kept expecting it to be worse than it was, not that it wasn't painful, but it was manageable. Finally went to the hospital around noon the next day and I was a full 10 when I got there! My doctor barely made it and DS was born less than an hour after we arrived. The worst part was the stitches I needed afterward from a 9 lb baby coming out in 20 min of pushing.
My second was 8 days late and we found out he had turned sideways sometime after my 40 wk appt. My doctor was able to turn him back head down, but wanted to go ahead and induce so that he wouldn't have a chance to flip again, and b/c my first was big so this one was also probably on the large size (he was just under 9 lbs). I was scared of the pitocin, again b/c of horror stories I had heard, but again it wasn't too bad and I think my body really took over once the contractions were started and they never turned it up very high. DS2 was born less than 5 hours later. The doctor did break my water at around 6 cm and he was born 20 min after that.
I'm hoping to not have an induction this time, but I think it was the best option last time; if I had already been in labor when I got to the hospital and DS was breach, they would have sent me straight to a c/s, so I'm glad for how it worked out. Even with being induced and having to be constantly monitored, my nurse was great about letting me get up and move around and I think that helped a ton. I'm excited to see how this one turns out!View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.