I'm not a fan of the new FB / Twitter options either. Obviously, nothing you put on an online is truly private, but having the button RIGHT THERE next to each post just kind of worries me. It's like the internet equivalent of moving from a nice, quiet house far from a main road to one that sits right next to a major freeway. It's just TOO CLOSE for my taste. I doubt much good would come from sharing conversations on FB anyway. Seems like it would mostly be used for the wrong reasons in the heat of a message board argument.View Thread
1. If you were wearing a "mood" ring at the moment, what color would it be? At the present moment I'd probably go with green.
2. What's the local weather? Chilly and rainy
3. What would you change about your attire today? I'd put on a shirt with long sleeves instead of the short sleeves I have. I didn't realize it would be so cool today.
4. Are you looking forward to the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend? YES! I've had to work at least one day per weekend over the past five weekends. I am SO happy to have three days off!
5. When your LO has his/her next birthday, how old will he/she be, and what will the party them be? She'll be two in June. We're planning to have a little party in our local park. Nothing big, probably just invite a few friends and their kids for pizzas and cupcakes.
6. If you could toss one item that belongs to your DH/SO with NO repercussions, what would it be? His blackberry so that work wouldn't be able to contact him when he's at home.
7. If you could go away on a 2-week vacation, where would you go? Hawaii, for sure.
8. If you could remodel one room in your home, which room and what would you do? Bathroom. I'd take out our current (tiny) tub and our shower stall and put in a bigger tub with a shower head included. Sadly, I don't think I'd ever want this bad enough to spend the money to remodel.
9. If you could change careers, what would you do? Hmm. Well, I've already changed careers twice in the 12 years I've been working post-college. And I started a new job in February that I really like. But I guess if I could have any job in the world, I'd go back to being a SAHM for a year or two.
10. If you could start up a craft/hobby, what would it be? I'd like to learn to speak Spanish. I've taken classes, but I'm still not very good.
11. Can you sing? Not well.
12. What's your favorite TV sitcom or series right now? Modern Family. DH and I crack up over Claire and Phil. I think we both identify with them.
13. What's your favorite quote or saying? "What I want is what I've not got, but what I need is all around me." It's a line from a Dave Matthews song. I'm a 34-year-old cliche!View Thread
Man, I'm late to the conversation yet again. Stupid work is keeping me too busy to post! Argh!
Regarding the large family thing, I do agree that a large family can live a lifestyle that's environmentally friendly - perhaps more so than a small family. But the problem comes when those six kids leave the home and start six families of their own. And if each of those families have six kids, you end up with 36 kids by the third generation. Meanwhile, if the three kids in the smaller family has three kids each, there are only 9.
I think it's important to note, however, that the birth rate in pretty much every developed country - including the U.S., where population growth is fueled by immigration - is at or below the so-called "replacement" level of 2.1 or 2.3 kids (not sure of the exact number). So even though there are some large families in the U.S., their numbers are off-set by smaller families and childless people. That will definitely have a positive effect b/c people in industrialized nations use the most resources. We can all live as green as possible, but we still consume resources at a fast pace because of electricity, transportation, protein-rich diets, water usage, etc., etc.View Thread
What a nice story! This makes me think of some people I know (my own father included) who say they never realized they were poor growing up until they became adults. Money was tight, but their parents gave them everything they needed.View Thread
OK, I'm late, late, late on this. But I wanted to add in my green efforts.
Extended BFing. - OK, I don't do this for the green reasons, but DD has had all of maybe two canisters of formula in her life - so that's green. Plus the extended BF means I don't have to buy as much cow's milk and don't have to buy any supplement drinks like Pedialite if she's sick.
Cut down on meat - I try to limit beef to once per month, and overall I try to eat no more than one serving of any kind of meat (beef/poultry/pork/fish) per day. Usually, I'm able to get it down under once a day either by eating all veggie or by making meat more of a side dish than a main dish.
Try to stick to grass-fed beef only and other meats that are pastured / organic / wild caught
Farmer's market shopping for most veggies as well as eggs, bread and sometimes meat.
Switched to CFL bulbs, although I've had mixed success. Some of those $7 bulbs have burned out much more quickly then they're supposed to. And then you have to deal with disposing of them - which is no picnic.
Walk most places - particularly to the grocery store and to the farmer's market. I feel like it's kind of appropriate to have to exert some physical effort in order to get food.
Living in a city - Again, I didn't do this for the green reasons. But, despite the pollution, I think that living in cities is an ideal way to maximize efficiency of resources. Plus, it leaves more land untouched and open.
Living in an area where most of the electricity is generated via nuclear plants vs. fossil fuel burning plants. Again, I didn't do this myself, obviously, but it is something I'm happy about.
I hope you have a relaxing Mother's Day weekend so that you can recover! Now that I'm a FT working mother myself, I finally understand why all my mom wanted from us kids each Mother's Day was for us to clean the house and get along for one full day. View Thread
1. Bath or shower gal? Shower. Our bathtub is too small for an adult to take a relaxing bath in it, so LO is the only one in the family who uses it.
2. Favorite shampoo and why? I switch back and forth between Pantene and Dove b/c they work well and I like the way they smell.
3. Fav conditioner and why? Same as above.
4. Top 3 "must haves" in your makeup bag? Concealer (for under eyes and the occasional zit cover-up), blush, powder
5. How often do you shave? Once a week
6. Floss regularly? Every night. I made flossing my New Year's resolution about 10 years ago, and it's stuck with me.
7. silk, satin, flannel, or cotton sheets? Cotton
8. What size is your bed? King. We just upgraded from full - it's aMAAAZing to have so much more space!
9. What are you wearing right now? Brown pants from Banana Republic and a lacy cami with a cardigan sweater over it.
10. Recycler or no? Yup.
11. Gardener? Would love to be - but no yard. I've been thinking of putting a planter with some herbs out on our balcony, though.
12. Indoor or outdoor person? I'd like to say outdoors (only with sunscreen, though, since I'm pale), but I do spend most of my time indoors.
13. Favorite quiet time activity? I'm with you ladies - sleeping!! Or reading.
14. Favorite splurge activity? Shopping for clothes for myself. Doesn't happen all that much.
15. Name the best part of your body? Hair, I guess.
16. Name the best part of your character? I think I'm a very patient person. That's come in handy with a toddler in the house!
17. Wine or beer or mixed drink or cooler? Wine, usually. Sometimes beer.
18. What was your breakfast this morning? Oatmeal and an iced vanilla latte.
19. What's for dinner tonight? Good question. Probably something meatless because I had meat (turkey and chicken) twice yesterday.
20. What's the current condition of your home: spotless, recently scrubbed but a bit untidy, untidy and in dire need of a thorough scrubbing? Recently scrubbed but a bit untidy. It seems to be in that state almost constantly. View Thread
MontanaMama - have you noticed how incredibly alike you and your oldest DD look in your photos on the first page of this discussion?! It's uncanny - you have the exact same pose and the exact same smile!!View Thread