Wow, that is very good to know! I tried to look up my crib's manual online, but I couldn't find it. Looks like someone will bebed shopping this weekend! I never even thought of this... good call!View Thread
But yeah, unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I had my mom watching my DS one day a week for over a year, and it was always a headache in terms of getting her to carry out my wishes. I've since switched entirely to daycare in order to keep the family/child care provider roles separate, and it works out much better.View Thread
Bri, That is interesting about the 35". I never knew or heard about that before! Was that in the manual, or did you read this somewhere? I am just wondering if it is a standard thing, or specific to certain cribs.View Thread
O, and I also have a very proactive pediatrician with a very "better safe than sorry" approach to developmental delays. My son was actually evaluated twice before for other delays, but did not qualify either time. However, I must say that I appreciate this approach much more than the "wait and see" attitude. Both times the Early Intervention evaluation teams came to my house, they praised me and my ped for taking even mild delays seriously. They said that many pediatricians will wait to refer their patients until the delay is very severe (like 2-3 year olds not talking) when these kids could have really benefitted from speech services earlier on.View Thread
I think it is worth it to get an evaluation at this point. There are Early Intervention programs in every state, so that won't be an issue. Your pediatrician should have the contact information for this program, but if not, you can always google it or call your state's Dept of Health.
I am having my son evaluated for speech delays early next month. Like your DD, he is only really consistnatly saying "no", and although he can sometimes make out the first letter of words, he can't say anything else clearly. For some perspective, my son will be 20 months old in a couple days, but he will be evaluated as an 18m old because he was 6 1/2 weeks early and EI goes by corrected age (i.e., his due date). Even taking this into consideration, the service coordinator (the person who sets up the eval) still thought it was very likely he would qualify for some speech therapy.
It might be that a lightbulb will go off one day soon, and the initial speech delay won't be an issue, but I'd rather be proactive and get him some extra service now just in case that doesn't end up happening.View Thread
I am sorry to hear of that. It sounds like you did and are doing the right thing. I think staying with your mom for now will be alot more stable. It did not sound like you were in a good siutation down in FL.
Also, for the long run, it is so important to further your education... it is rough out there, so all additional training/education you can get does help. After alot of discussion, my DH has started going back to school to get some post high school technical school training, and I think it will be such a good thing for him and us as a family. It sounds like you want to continue pursuing better things for your family, and if he is not on board, don't let him hold you back. GLView Thread