We too have a cat who likes tochewon things he shouldn't. We've managed to hide most wires, etc.,but he absolutely loves the tube that runs between my CPAP machine and my nose. He has destroyed several by biting little holes in them. Our solution has been to encase the tubes in a larger-diameter, tougher plastic tube, about 3/4" OD, available at a hobby or hardware store. The same stuff should work for your electrical cords too, though you may have detach one end in order to get the wire through the tube and re-attach it afterwards. Friction tape or Mystic tape should work for this, as well as for securing one end of the tube to the wire so it stays in place. It's some trouble to go to, but a small price to pay to avert an electrocuted kitty. View Thread
I too have seen many cats sleeping in their litter boxes, both at shows and in animal shelters/pounds. Sometimes it's the only temperature-neutral surface they can find that's not too hot or two cold, and if the caretaker is conscientious about cleaning out the solids, I suppose it's more comfortable than a metal floor; also, if the sides are high enough, the kitty may feel protected in there.View Thread
As Dr. Weaver says below, cats rarely chew food, but will swallow it whole, if it's small enough. They're "designed" to kill their prey and the eat it one chunk at a time; if they bite off too big a chunk, they'll stand on it and tear it apart with their teeth. The only case of vomiting we've had in several months was when I gave our 1-year-old some canned "salmon dinner" cat food, which he couldn't keep down, though his brothers could. A high quality dry food such as Science Diet can usually put an end to vomiting, partly because the individual pebbles are so tiny and digestible, Science Diet canned food also is a great idea. I feed our three dry food twice daily and (because they're still young) supermarket canned food once (three meals: breakfast @ 6 AM, supper @ 5 PM, and bedtime snack just at bedtime, usually ca. 1015 PM, timed to induce sleepiness in them to coordinate with ours. Since the time between supper and snack is so short, supper is the meal for canned food; about a 1/4 of a can each. One cat is skinny, so he gets a large portion; another is a kitten and gets a supplement of pebbles; the third, 4, is chubby and gets the least. we've taught all of them to stand up with their front paws hanging down before we put their plates on the floor.View Thread
Hot pepper sauce does not work for all cats. Our one-year-old can't stand it and runs when he smells it (though we'd rather not spread it on our down bedspread, on which he loves to chew). But the four-year-old seems to be immune to all things zesty, and will happily lick clean a plate that once contained a VERY zesty Indian meal. He also loves ice cream.
I also believe that one or two tablespoons is far too much. I'd give the cat one teaspoon at most. Their little mouths can't hold much more than that.View Thread