But do the doctors HAVE TO recommend this to cover themselves? What is riskier- waiting two-4 extra weeks and possibly having cancer grow during that time OR risking having to deliver my baby at 35 weeks?View Thread
Hello- I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and am scheduled next week for a colposcopy and tissue sample. I am extremely nervous to have this procedure done- just wanted a little advice.
Here is the background: September 2010- normal pap smear. September 2011- abnormal pap smear results showed High Grade Cells, but negative HPV. Re-tested October 2011 found pap smear to be normal- no High Grade Cells found. Went in to confirm pregnancy in July 2012 and had pap smear: High Grade Cells were found as well as positive for HPV. Had colposcopy and biopsy done in August and it showed that I was "still high grade." (I found out later that it was at stage 3: the stage before cervical cancer.) OBGYN recommended biopsy done again in second AND third trimester. Scheduled colpo for October 2012-- OBGYN's office had to cancel that appointment, so I scheduled another for the third trimester.
****Switched OBGYN's because I wanted to deliver at a different hospital....****
My first visit with the new OBGYN: New OBGYN did not have my records yet, but recommended that I cancel my colposcopy because he did not see the need "unless it was high grade." (**NOTE: My FIRST OBGYN kind of babied me..they did not tell me how bad the results of the test were). Two weeks later, my new OBGYN had the results in front of him and he said that I SHOULD schedule a Colposcopy since it was shown to be at the stage before cervical cancer. He said that he thought the other lab may have read the results wrong because it doesn't seem like I should be that close to cancer (stage 3) after finding abnormal cells only one year before. He also said that it is possible that the abnormal cells have sort of healed themselves, and they may be a bit better....
Here is why I am nervous to have the colpo: I am pregnant and my immune system is down- does cancer grow faster? The OBGYN in the office who will be doing the procedure is fairly new (only OBGYN for 2 years) and there is a SMALL risk of bleeding and not stopping, resulting in a c-section at 35 weeks. I possibly have had abnormal cells since soon after my 2010 pap smear..... We just don't know. That is 2 years, and I could have cancer right now!! If I do not bleed and am able to wait the week until the results, showing that I DO have cancer, we would probably do a C-section at 36 weeks so that I can get immediate care- that is a decision I would have to make when I get the results.
I am torn. Should I wait until the baby is 37 weeks (in case I bleed) before having the colpo? The doctors recommended that I have it as soon as possible...but I just don't know what to do. I want my baby to be OK, but I also want to make sure to listen to the doctors and care for myself.
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.