Good luck to you too I have had a lot of contractions but nothing is getting my cervix to dialate. I am hoping that the tape will dialate me and the contractions will be able to become more focused.View Thread
Thank you! I REALLY hope I go into full labor with it I have had so many random contractions and some of them are pretty painful but neve seem to be concentrated or regular. I have high hopes for Sunday night!View Thread
Really anything can happen. No one will be able to tell you if you will go over your due date or not. You can walk around for weeks at 5 cm dialated and still go over your due date, you can be completely closed and go into labor that night.
Don't put much stock into getting your cervix checked. My OBs don't even tell you what you are at when they check. They only check if you are interested in getting your membranes stripped.View Thread
I have become a member of all my boards so that on the left side of the page I can just click on it. Does that help? Otherwise you could always bookmark the board so you don't have to search for it.View Thread
Oh the Cervidil tape is put on your cervix to help dialate and soften your cervix. It is left on for up to 12 hours at a time. You should ask your doctor about it. Some women do go into full labor with use of the tape. Good luck and if you get offered an induction ask them lots of questions about what protocols they use and your options. I am opting to use low dose of pitocin and only having it turned up evey hour instead of half an hour. That is if I need it after the tape. I am hoping all I will need is the tape.
Also ask about breaking your water, I have specifically asked mine not be broken unless baby is fully engaged. The risk of a prolapsed cord (however small) is much less when baby is fully engaged then when baby isn't.View Thread
I have to say your OB would not recommend it if you were not a good candidate for a VBAC. There are certain things they take into consideration including how long it has been since your c-section and if you have had successful vaginal births in the past. In your case it has been two years since your c-section, and you have had two successful vaginal births.
While it is up to you in the end, you should share any of your reservation with your doctors and ask lots of questions. I would bring in a pad of paper with you to write down answers to your questions. You have time to decide and I think you are doing the right thing to ponder it now rather then waiting until much later.View Thread
Well I have not had one but I think that is amazing that your doctor wants to do one! He obviously thinks you will have an amazing delivery and considering many OBs won't even entertain the thought. You will have to decide if the risks outweigh the benefits for yourself.
What kind of a plan? Do you mean a labor plan? You should feel free to try different pain management techniques. Taking a warm bath or shower during labor, walking, massage, using a labor ball and so forth. You can always get an epidural but why not let your body do it's thing for awhile if you can handle it?
My OB gave me the advice to let yourself feel labor first and then make decisions. She also told me that fearing the pain will make it worse. My doula has also said that and gave the advice to open up during a contraction and to allow yourself to work through them.View Thread
Went to the appointment and was offered to be induced to which I initially turned down. Then DH and I talked about it for awhile and decided that we wanted more information. So I called the practice back and asked for a call back today.
Well we are set up for an induction on Sunday. We are doing the tape to ripen my cervix overnight and we are hoping and praying that will be enough to send me into labor. My doula recommends it because of all the inductions she has seen the tape has been the most successful. She has even had clients go into full labor just from that. We also like the idea of waiting until Sunday night because it gives us some more time to try to go in on our own or at least to hopefully dialate a bit. Plus she also told us that most of her clients go at 41 weeks and 1 day which would be Sunday for me. I did talk to the doctor about the pitcocin rate. He told me about the two different protocols that they use and that I can talk to my doctor before the pitocin starts about the rate. I have already decided I want to be started at 1 mu and I only want it turned up once an hour. He said that was fine and that I and the doctor can re-evaluate it throughout the day.
It was actually a little funny when the nurse called to answer my questions she was going over the basics and then I asked a bunch of specific questions about the pitocin and she kind of just stopped talking and then quietly said 'I will get you Dr Barker...' LOL! When I told my doula about it she just laughed and said the nurse has probably never talked to an expecting mother that actually asked questions like I was. Dr Barker was very happy I called back he said he was worried if I waited another week then I would be setting myself up for a c-section. He didn't want to push me into anything I wasn't ready for though. He said if I wanted to I could skip the induction and just have a c-section. Which I wouldn't do and he said he knew I wouldn't want that and that was why he didn't offer it (we were talking about the size of the baby) and that I should try labor. He said some women just need a little extra push into labor.
So that is the plan... I have been hoping and praying every minutes since then that I do go on my own OR at least dialate on my own to make things easier. So if you have a few extra minutes say a small prayer for me. I really don't want a c-section and would really like to avoid one. And for others considering an induction - don't be afraid to ask questions and to ask for something that isn't their protocol either. They were surprised that I actually knew what I was asking about but Dr Barker was pleased that I was asking questions and gave my preferences.View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.