please - is he stubborn? or does he want to shorten his life with his loved ones? the project can wait. good god, please force him to go the doctor - now! there should be no debate. really in the grand scheme of things the STUPID PROJECT CAN WAIT! I'm not trying to be inconsiderate here, but please!View Thread
it's been a year and 1/2 since i've had my prostectomy, blood work done at 3 months - 6 months after...psa 0...just had things checked again - psa .1 after said year and1/2...while this level is negligible per se, it still concerns me a bit - if in fact all traces of cancer were removed, should the level still be 0? some commentary would be appreciated - thank youView Thread
patience...keep after the kegel exercises, and positivity. i had a robotic procedure, and things will never be the same, but it is...after 6 months, close. incontinence is pretty much nil, and my urine stream flows like i was 20 yrs. old. sexual activity is a slight concern, however...a full erection seems to be there only with the help of a little viagra at present, but if this is worse case scenario, then i'm good. i'm 52, and i think the younger one is, the quicker the recovery, but i had to wear maxi pads for about 2 months just to be on the safe side, so i wouldn't worry too much. keep up the kegels, my friend, and you probably won't be normal, per se, but if you are functional, and your partner is good with everything, then being an active, vibrant person that is cancer free is definitely better than the alternative. good luck!View Thread
had the robotic procedure at the mayo clinic in phoenix...am very happy with the results...life will be different for sure, but recovery was quick and after my checkup, there was no trace of cancer! woo hoo! do those kegel exercises! it will def make a difference. as far as the quality of life...nerve sparing surgery will give you a distinct advantage if performed by someone who knows what he/she is doing. being as your hubby is somewhat young (like myself), the opportunity for a trifecta ( sexual function, continence, and no cancer) is a good one. i'm real happy i went with the surgery - it has only been almost 5 months, and sexual function is close...viagra does make a difference, but it's more of a reassurance than anything else. just be patient! no leakage, however, and positivety is very important! i'm not a fan of radiation unless one is a bit older...although a slow moving cancer, sometimes it can be a bit more aggressive in younger patients from what i understand. your husband should do very well if he is in good shape. good luck...View Thread
hey bill...am younger than you, and i think that makes a difference, but i cannot emphasize enough how much the kegel exercises help. do them A LOT and be patient. everything will improve...also, maxi pads are a lot cheaper. worked for me. good luckView Thread
I've heard that because of scar tissue concerns, that surgery after radiation is not an option. Is this true? This will really help me with my decision. psa 2.2 gleason 7...need to make a move now. everyone tries to talk you into their particular treatment, dependent on his/her practice, but I know several people my age(I'm 51) that have had the external beam radiation and they've been cancer free for 5 or 6 years now. I would certainly appreciate any input. Thank you.View Thread
have scheduled robotic surgery at the mayo clinic on dec. 23rd. i'm very concerned however. the reality of a diminished romantic life is disappointing. being cancer free is of course, much more important. with standard radiation treatment, which would be easier, and less radical, is a person's love life compromised as much? i realize there are many factors involved. i am 51, and my psa has spiked a little to a 2.2 - i need to get this done, but someone help me out here. i've talked to a couple of guys that have had the radiation treatment, and it's sort of a mixed bag. at my age, what do i do? there is always the risk of the cancer coming back after radiation, and sometimes results are iffy, but now i'm worrying a bit. the surgery, in my case, would be the cure, per se, but surgery vs. radiation? still perplexed. gleason 6 perhaps 7 now. have talked to several people, but am having trouble making the decision.View Thread
have a 6 gleason, 2 biopsy samples found to be malignant...1%...suggested that i get an mri done. don't want to go with a 1.5. mayo has a 3, but i hear in san franciso, there is a 7 tesla. will 3 do the trick? san fran is journey, although it would be free. what do ya think?View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, or blogs are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.
Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.