It just riles me up when I see countless articles stating there is no scientific evidence that chocolate causes acne. Well, if it doesn't then why is it that whenever I eat anything with chocolate in it, I have a breakout of cystic acne within 3 days. I think for some people this "myth" is horribly true if they have an allergy of sorts to chocolate. I had horrible cystic acne all the way up to my 40s.. That is when I figured out it was chocolate. So I gave it up. And presto, acne is all gone. I've tested it a few times to confirm. Now we have found out that my teenage daughter has the same issue. Her acne got really bad. I convinced her to give it up for a few months and almost all of it cleared up, Every once in a while we succume to temptation and pay the price. I don't know if it's an allergy to the chocolate or something with it but it can be cakes, cookies, chocolate bars, or hot chocolate. It can be dark, white, or milk chocolate. It does not matter. So if you have cystic acne, try giving it up for a few weeks or months and see if your acne gets better. Don't beleive the hype about it being a wife's tale. It pains me to see so many people suffer from horrible acne when it could be something they are eating like chocolate and yet there are 1000's of articles assuring them that chocolate is not causing it. Well, it does cause if for some people. I'm living proof and so is my daughter. This is not a cure for all but I'm sharing this in case there are others out there like me that can benefit from this information and hopefully get their acne under control LONG before they are 40.View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, or blogs are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.
Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.