Hello, my dad just had an intracerebral hemorrhagic stroke a couple of days ago. They don't know yet if it was from an aneurysm or AVM. He is 59 years old, physically fit, about 5ft-120lbs, a nonsmoker, drinks alcohol (glass of wine/night & a shot of brandy/night), very active. He is being treated in the hospital right now. What I was told is that he is on sumazin, mannitol and ringer's serum with an iv and they're giving him acepil and mikardis as pills. His speech was impaired initially when is first happened but came back after the first night in the hospital. His right arm and leg lost sensitivity but he could move them the next day too. They did a CT scan but all you can see is the white spot indicating the blood that came out of the vessels. Doctors told me it's a 2-3 cm area. They are planning to keep him in bed for 7-10 days and then possibly schedule additional imaging tests. It seems like his blood pressure is fluctuating it initially was 200/130 then the next day was 170/100 and now the third day it is 150-70 and cardiologists are trying to keep it down. He is fully conscious and aware, is eating and able to talk normally. At this point the dr. wants him to stay in bed for 7-10 days. He doesn't recommend any surgery. He wants my dad to rest and not move so the hemorrhage will heal on its own. My question is does it sound like this is the right thing to do or should there be any other procedures or medications he should be on? What else should be done to prevent the vessel from re-bleeding later? Also, is there a way to tell if the stroke was from an AVM or aneurysm without doing an angiogram, maybe an MRA or CTA? Thank you so much for any information.View Thread
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.